Power naps, gym, reading a book, coffee with friends, timeout at a spa….. Between your hustle and bustle – TAKE A BREAK, if not for a week then for 5mins. YOU DESERVE IT!
How many times have you pushed yourself to exhaustion, until you cannot think straight anymore? All this over-working only runs you down, leaving you open to falling sick.
Here’s what prompted me to take a break and literally shutdown the intense need to STAY BUSY!
JUST THE OTHER NIGHT I forced myself to continue working, my head hurt, my eyes began to strain and my brain could not bare the agony, but yet- I tirelessly kept at it.
STILL INTENSLEY STUCK IN A WORK ZONE, I felt highly stressed and agitated with those around me, using one word responses and not really looking at them when they spoke (BAD very BAD). The guilt of my behaviour did kick in though.
FORTUNATELY I DIDN’T GET TO THE POINT (where some have indeed reached) of breaking out in hives, pulpitations or body aches. Added to that, a feeling of displacement, unsure as to whether you are coming or going.
Without sounding like a Health Specialist, taking a much needed break did a world of wonders (as it would for you too). If you don’t know how beneficial taking a quick break in your work day can be, I’ve listed some of the reasons here.
A GOOD BREAK:
- RESTORES your energy. I feel totally pumped and ready to face the task at hand
- HELPS you FOCUS and GAIN a SENSE OF PURPOSE. I’m totally driven after a short breather.
- BOOSTS YOUR CREATIVITY. My mind is in an overload of creative energy.
- STIMULATES OXYGEN to your brain Oh yeah! I’ve untapped those brain cells that were fast asleep.
- and IMPROVE CONCENTRATION Hello 🙂 taking a break is mind blowing !
Now that you know how beneficial a good healthy break is – for those manic workers who have no idea how to take a break, here are a few tips to get you started on short bursts of “time-out” during your work day.
- look away from your screen(computer,tv,cellphone) every 90mis
- take a coffee or social break
- take a walk
- eat lunch – AWAY FROM YOUR DESK
- take a power nap (set the alarm on your cellphone in case you extend that nap to a full on sleep)
- meditate for 5mins to clear your mind
~for your own sanity – don’t wait to reach boiling point~
TAKE A BREAK
Be patient with time, it can unravel your full potential, if you use it well ! Roshan
Kimono and Turban : Zamaan